Monday, October 26, 2015

Nisha Kishore - Presenting Chapter

Presenting Chapter


Laptop? Check. ID? Check. Nervous? Check. Definitely check. I looked into the mirror and straightened my tie for the last time before heading downstairs. It was time to give my BU RECS presentation. 


My partner Emma and I had been preparing this presentation for about two weeks. We were assigned chapter four: plate tectonics and long- term climate. Since we divided the information in the chapter, I was responsible for speaking about plate tectonic definitions and motions, paleomagnetism and its applications, evaluating the polar position hypothesis, and introducing a model for Pangaea’s climate. After finishing up the powerpoint a few days ago and rehearsing the past two nights, we felt ready.

I entered the room feeling confident in my knowledge of the chapter, but nervous about the presentation. As an introvert, I didn’t enjoy speaking in front of groups of people. Nonetheless, the show must go on; it was 6:30 and time to begin.

As Emma introduced our presentation I couldn’t help but feeling more nervous. This is it. I thought. It’s my turn to speak. I took a deep breath, told myself I’d be ok, and started talking.

I noticed I started talking quite fast since I was nervous. To my surprise, after speaking for a few minutes, I became more calm. I looked at my peers in the audience and realized that speaking wasn’t as scary as I thought. I just had to be confident in my abilities and present what I knew. Before I realized it, I had already finished my part of the presentation. 


In retrospect, it was actually kind of fun sharing my newfound knowledge with my colleagues. I’m looking forward to next week when I can learn from them again. 
--Nisha Kishore

No comments:

Post a Comment